Thursday 7 July 2011

Smitty's Selections: Week 2

I've decided I'm going to be a bit more gutsy with my picks this year. I tended to play it safe in 2010, and it didn't do me any favours. As much as I want to get my 50 wins, I'd much rather take a chance and be wrong than play it safe. I took a chance last week on Toronto, and it paid off. This week, I take a few more chances.

Toronto at Winnipeg

The two teams that were victorious in Week 1 that least impressed me were the Blue Bombers and Argonauts. Toronto and Winnipeg capitalized on terrible outings from their opponents (Calgary and Hamilton, respectively), but both teams could have just as easily lost. But regardless of that, one of these two teams will remain undefeated and atop the East Division. After last season and last week, I've learned not to underestimate Toronto, and I think they head to the Manitoba capital and earn a hard-fought 'W'.

Winner: Toronto, 27-21

Calgary at British Columbia

BC played terribly in the first half against Montreal in Week 1, but made a valiant effort in the second half to nearly pull the upset. Calgary, on the other hand, was just terrible. Both teams will be ready for this one, as neither team wants to start the season 0-2. With the game being in BC, I have to take the Lions in a tight one.

Winner: British Columbia, 31-27

Montreal at Saskatchewan

When these two teams get together, good stuff happens. No one forgets last year's epic season opener on Canada Day, do they? Montreal comes in after looking great, and then not so great, against BC. Saskatchewan looked horrendous in the beatdown the Eskimos gave them. This is a hard one to predict, as Montreal should be able to take advantage of the weak Saskatchewan Secondary in the same way that Ricky Ray did in Week 1. But I just don't see the Roughriders losing their first two home games. Saskatchewan wins a shootout.

Winner: Saskatchewan, 45-41

Hamilton at Edmonton

If I had told you before Week 1 that this game would pit a 1-0 team versus a 0-1 team, you'd probably think that Hamilton would have the win and Edmonton the loss. Well, that's why they play the games. Edmonton went on the road and absolutely demolished Saskatchewan, while Hamilton laid a huge egg at home against Winnipeg. I think I may have underestimated the Eskies when I said they'd finish last in the entire CFL, but I think after last week's putrid performance, the Ti-Cats will want to come out and take it to the Eskimos. Hamilton soundly beats Edmonton for their first win of the season.

Winner: Hamilton, 38-20

Recap
Toronto, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Hamilton

Season Record: 2-2

No comments:

Post a Comment