Wednesday 6 July 2011

Argos Ad, Or Why Mike Layton is a Useless Idiot

As a fan of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats I don't often find myself on the same side as the Toronto Argonauts, but the recent controversy around their 2011 advertising campaign finds me defending the Double Blue.

For those that don't know, the Argos had plastered the stops along the Toronto Transit Commission subway line with this advertisement:
This ad prompted Toronto City Councillor Mike Layton (son of federal NDP leader Jack Layton) to send a letter to Argos President Bob Nicholson claiming that the above ad "insinuates that domestic violence in the home is acceptable or normal."

Um.... what?

What I see when I see the ad (and I saw it every day for about two weeks at the Union Station subway stop) is one advertising a football team and football game. It takes a very large stretch to connect this ad with domestic violence. I can't see how anyone with any type of rationality in them could see this ad and think that it has anything to with domestic violence.

I will refrain from espousing any political beliefs here, but I will say that councilors at Toronto City Hall should have better things to do with their time than worry about advertisements for sporting events.

It is too bad that the Argonauts buckled under the pressure and are removing the ads, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. This is just another case of a useless politician trying to divert attention from the real problems. Nice job, Mike. Glad to see everything else is taken care of in Toronto so that you have the time to fabricate a controversy to suit your own political aspirations.

In case anyone wants to contact Mike Layton, his e-mail address is: councillor_layton@toronto.ca

I will be sending an e-mail to Mike Layton very soon to tell him how I feel about his actions. I hope many of you will follow suit.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a resident of Toronto and avid Argos fan I was so upset by being blocked from following him on Twitter for my friendly sports banter. Apparently he can dish out controversy but can't take it, nor wants scrutiny from those that might oppose him. Hopefully he'll take my olive branch to watch next year's home opener with his father and Rob Ford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, he blocked you? What did you say to him?

    I have to ask: do you live in his riding?

    ReplyDelete