Saturday 4 September 2010

NFL Cuts (and What they Mean for the Tiger-Cats)

Today is NFL cut-down day and a couple of guys that were released from their NFL teams today could be making their way to Hamilton.

One such player was WR Sam Giguère. Giguère was a first-round pick, eighth overall, of the Tiger-Cats in 2008. Giguère has spent the last two seasons on the Indianapolis Colts practice roster. Giguère has never played for the Tiger-Cats.

The other player is DB Bo Smith. Smith was signed by the New York Jets following the 2009 CFL season.

In case I have new readers, I must let them know that I think Bo Smith is terrible. I was hoping and praying that Smith would make the Jets roster. I'm not surprised that he didn't because, to put it bluntly, he sucks. He was routinely beaten, took stupid, unnecessary penalties, and just made boneheaded play after boneheaded play. Some think that because he was signed by an NFL team that means he must be good. Well, if that's how you think, I feel for you. I hope someone picks up Smith so he won't come back to Hamilton. (For all my loyal readers who have been with me since the beginning or thereabouts, I apologize for making you read my comments on Bo Smith yet again.)


As far as Giguère is concerned, I'd like to see what he has to offer. While being a first-round pick doesn't portend success (see: Chris Bauman), there was a reason why this team decided that Giguère was worth it. It's never a bad thing to have a plethora of young Receivers, especially if they are Canadian. Giguère seems to have all the tools to be a pretty good Receiver.

Both of these players could be headed back to the teams that released them, or they could be picked up by another NFL team. Whether they come to -- or in Bo Smith's case, back to -- Hamilton or not is up in the air. If neither is signed within the next couple of weeks, I would think they would be on their way to Steeltown.

P.S. Any ideas on how to get Bo Smith an NFL job? Anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Obviously the coaches see talent in Bo Smith because he is back in hamilton and he will soon be starting at corner....sorry

    ReplyDelete