Wednesday 3 August 2011

Arland Bruce Traded

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have dealt Arland Bruce to the BC Lions for a third-round draft pick and a conditional draft pick.

I said just last night that I didn't think the Cats would trade Bruce, because I felt that the team would allow him to work through his problems.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this: I think this was a bad move. I have not agreed with everything that Bob O'Billovich has done as General Manager, but I have never disagreed with him more than I do today. A third-round pick for a player who was third in the league in receiving yards last season? And the Cats didn't even get a roster player from BC.

Bruce was given a contract extension just this past off-season, and today he finds himself on a plane out of town. I don't get it, and I don't agree with it.

The only way that this makes sense is from a financial point of view. Bruce was one of the highest-paid players on the Cats, and trading him means that Hamilton frees up cap space to make a move later on.

Even from that perspective, I don't like the trade. I would have preferred it much more if the Tabbies had dealt Marquay McDaniel or Maurice Mann. Neither of those players has shown one-tenth what Bruce has shown.

This was a bad trade. A really, really bad trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment