Wednesday 17 October 2012

Webb's Fine, Belli's Return and Burris' Homecoming

After I saw the hit that Dee Webb laid on Marco Iannuzzi last week, I knew he would be fined, and today Webb was fined by the CFL. Webb maintains that the play wasn't dirty – I agree with him on that – and that it didn't deserve a fine, but hits like Webb's will result in a fine because the CFL is trying to take those hits out of the game. While I definitely believe that Webb had no intent to injure Iannuzzi, those types of hits are going to received supplementary discipline. That said, anyone believing the hit deserved a suspension needs to give their head a shake. This was not Khalif Micthell attempting to rip off Simeon Rottier's arm; this was a defensive player trying to make a big hit and unfortunately injuring another player.

News from Toronto today as one of my favourite players is returning to the league. The Argos have signed Adriano Belli for the remainder of the season. I don't think it is any secret that I dislike Adriano Belli. I never liked him when he was a Tiger-Cat and I really disliked him when he signed with the Argos. When he retired a couple of years ago, I was happy to never have to hear his name again. But now I have to put up with him for at least the end of this season. Hopefully, it is only for the rest of the season.

It is going to be a story until the game is over (and I am sure we will hear a lot about it on TSN before, during and after the game), but Saturday's game in Calgary is Henry Burris' homecoming. While I doubt Burris needs any extra motivation, the Ti-Cats need the win to keep their playoff hopes alive, I am sure he will be looking to have one of his best games to show those in Calgary (*cough* John Hufnagel *cough*) that they made a mistake in dealing him.

And before anyone asks, I saw the stuff that Avon Cobourne said on Twitter after last night's presidential debate. I know it has caused a bit of controversy today, but I won't comment on it because, honestly, I don't care. Cobourne isn't the first to say something potentially controversial online and he won't be the last. And I just don't care about what anyone has to say about the presidential election, famous or not. At the end of the day, Cobourne is a private citizen that is entitled to his opinion. That is all I will say on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment