Monday 26 September 2011

The Road to and From Touchdown Atlantic: Moncton and Charlottetown Edition

Touchdown Atlantic has come and gone, but my adventures on Canada's east coast have not.

I covered the game and our arrival in Moncton, but I didn't talk about what we did pre- and post-game. I also forgot one cool part of our arrival in Moncton.

We stopped at a gas station to pick up drinks and fuel before embarking on the final leg of the trip. While at the gas station, we were saluted with an "Oskee Wee Wee!" by a guy at the gas station. Tiger-Cat fans in Moncton (not at the game): check!

Before I move on, it should be noted that during our travels Kevin Glenn sustained a devastating left-arm injury, and while he gutted out a tough performance, he was forced into a hyperbaric chamber to fix his ailing limb, thus ending his trip.

But even with the injury, he soldiered on in Moncton. Before the game, we hit up the Magnetic Hill. Kevin Glenn came along for the ride. (Note the missing arm.)
After that, we decided to walk from our hotel to the stadium on the campus of the Université de Moncton. Kevin Glenn was there, feeling worse, but still holding on strong.
Once we arrived, we partook in the pre-game festivities, which were a lot of fun. While there, Kevin Glenn made the rounds.

He enjoyed a pancake breakfast courtesy of the Calgary Stampeders.
He met up with some Tiger-Cats Cheerleaders...
And some Stampeders Cheerleaders.
He also had the privilege of chilling with Pigskin Pete.
And both Glenn and myself met former CFLer, and current TSN colour commentator Glen Suitor. Suitor was very gracious and more than willing to pose with me, despite the fact that I had a one-armed bobblehead in my hand. Glen Suitor is a cool dude.
And just prior to kickoff, Glenn met his nemesis in the form of... Santa? Yup, Santa is not a fan of Kevin Glenn.
While at the game, we had the privilege of sitting with a couple of Tiger-Cat fans and a threesome of Stampeder fans. The Ti-Cat fans were awesome, and I feel bad for not getting their names because I would have shouted them out here. But if either of you read this, feel free to drop me a line and I will give you your kudos.

The Stampeder fans were fun too. They took the beating the Stamps took in stride and had fun with it. Those are the type of opposing fans you want to sit with. They didn't get belligerent and took the jibes in stride. I also wish I would have gotten their names, but on the off chance they read this, feel free to drop me a line and I will be glad to give you your proper due for making the game even more fun.

The game and the surrounding events were awesome. My only regret is that I didn't get a chance to run into Drew Edwards. I would have loved to have gotten his picture with Kevin Glenn. Sadly, I did not. Maybe next time.

I do have a couple of stories to share about Charlottetown.

First, a lot of people in Prince Edward Island liked the Tiger-Cats. I was approached twice by locals who brought up the game on Sunday. Tiger-Cats fans in P.E.I.: check!

The next story is even better. We went out to dinner at a place called Lobster on the Wharf. Some may know it as the place the Stampeders ate the night before the game this weekend. When we arrived and before heading to dinner, we hit up the fish market adjacent to the restaurant. We learned about lobsters from the man who runs the market... who also happened to be a Tiger-Cats fan. We then went to the restaurant where the man that seated us was also a Tiger-Cat fan (and was the son of the man who runs the fish market). What are the odds?

And that about ends the Touchdown Atlantic road trip. Tomorrow begins the long journey back to Hamilton. Since the siteseeing will be kept to a minimum, this is the last travel log I will be posting. I hope everyone has enjoyed reading them as much as I have enjoyed writing them. This was a trip I was glad I made, and if the Tiger-Cats ever play in Moncton again (which is likely), I will be more than happy to make the long journey back to the Maritimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment