Monday 19 September 2011

Correcting a Mistake

I hold myself to a very high standard. I know that no one probably cares all that much when I make a tiny mistake, but I care.

Well, I made a mistake, and I have to own up to it. In fact, it's a mistake I've been making almost all weekend.

In my Morning-After Thoughts for this week, I took aim at the Canadian Football Hall of Fame for omitting Damon Allen. I pointed out that former St. Mary's star Quarterback Chris Flynn was selected and that Allen was not. I tried my best to say that Flynn was still deserving, just not as deserving as Allen. It's a claim I stand by, but a claim that was unnecessary to make.

I was unaware, and I take full blame for not being aware, that the Canadian Football Hall of Fame changed its entry requirements prior to the selection of the 2011 inductees, a fact that was pointed out to me by Andrew Bucholtz, editor of Yahoo Sports' 55-Yard Line blog. The Canadian Football Hall of Fame now puts amateur players into their own category so that they will not have to compete with professional athletes for selection to the Hall.

That means that Flynn was not in direct competition with Allen for a spot in the Hall of Fame. So both Flynn and Allen could have, and should have, been selected to the Hall.

I stand by my anger that Allen was not selected. It is unfathomable that a player who holds the record for most passing yards in professional football history was denied entry in his first year of eligibility. Everyone who was selected is more than deserving, but I would love to hear the argument against Allen being selected.

I am sure that Allen will be enshrined next season, but that is beside the point. Allen should not have to wait one second longer than necessary to take his deserved place in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. I won't belabour the point any longer, as I doubt there are many people out there that disagree with me.

Anyway, I apologize for my earlier mistake, and I will try to not let it happen again. I don't mind being wrong with an opinion, but being wrong with a fact is something else entirely. Today, I was wrong with a fact. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment