Sunday 4 September 2011

Otis Floyd to Announce Retirement

Former Tiger-Cat Linebacker Otis Floyd is set to announce his retirement today.

Floyd came to Hamilton in 2009 and was one of the main factors in bringing respectable football back to Steeltown. He was let go this past off-season after the Cats signed Rey Williams.

I have been an unabashed Floyd fan since his first day with the Cats, and I have made that known more times than I care to admit. Floyd was easily my favorite player the last two seasons, and I doubt I was alone. Floyd was the type of player that always endeared himself to Ti-Cat fans as a hard-nosed player who left it all on the field.

The one lasting memory I have of Floyd is his game-sealing interception in Week 2 in 2009 against BC. Floyd was a former Lion, and he picked off Buck Pierce to secure Hamilton's first win in BC since 2004.

Floyd was the undisputed leader of the Tiger-Cats' Defense, as he anchored the most fearsome Linebacking corps in the CFL (along with Markeith Knowlton and Jamall Johnson).

Floyd played only two seasons with the Cats, but his impact was huge. I don't know if Floyd will be at the game tomorrow afternoon, but if he is I will stand and cheer for him just like I did when he wore the Black & Gold.

Thank you, Otis.

No comments:

Post a Comment